Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Vegan Parmesan Cheese Alternative

Hello. I have been cooking pasta for a while and have become a fan of parmesan for use in my recipes instead of regular grated cheddar cheese. As you all know, parmesan cheese is a bit expensive here and I have been looking for alternatives to this flavorful pasta topping. After much researching, I have found a vegan alternative to parmesan. Its quite convenient actually because my girlfriend is vegan and the ingredients are not as expensive compared to the same volume of parmesan. Anyway, here is the recipe. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks promising. I will try this on my next pasta dish.
Parmesan Cheese Alternative
1 c sesame seeds
1/2 c savory yeast flakes
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
Lightly toast seeds in a dry pan. When cool whizz all ingredients in a blender.
Use as you would the non-vegan cheese.
Copied from http://valitaskitchen.blogspot.com/2008/09/parmesan-alternative-dairy-free.html

1 comment: